About Me

My photo
I teach 8th Grade History and I love to teach kids. I am going into my 3rd year as a teacher. At the moment I am working towards my masters in instructional technology.

Friday, May 28, 2010

New fun way to do research!

Just read a post by an old professor(Jonathan Rees) about holding an "Iron Chef" type of reasearch topic. It sounded sooo cool! Instead of having a mystery ingredient there is a mystery topic or question. Since the Iron Chefs select a list of ingredients as teachers we could provide a list of primary sources using Google Books and Chronoling America newspaper articles. The students can work in teams to do the best research they can. He is a college professor looking to do this in his classes but I think that it could easily be adjusted to do at a lower level. By adjusting the topic to grade level and adjusting the primary sources to not only be newspaper sources but Images found on the internet or in thier textbooks. In general it seems more like a modified competitive web quest than anything else. It will help speed up the research process becasue if it follows the Iron Chef format there are some pretty big limits on time. I think that this could be really fun in my US history classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment